I am Nick Bell, a veterinary surgeon, who has experience internationally dealing with practical herd health and welfare improvement.
My story so far…
I grew up on a small livestock farm in Herefordshire, England. I have worked on cattle foot health for over 20 years, helping develop a national foot health programme for dairy farmers.
I spent several years as a first opinion practitioner and large animal practice director, and 8 years working within the welfare and behaviour group at Bristol University. Firstly as a PhD student and then Research Fellow, before moving to the Royal Veterinary College in 2010, where I was a senior lecturer and director of
production animal tracking rotations based in the South of England until December 2016.
I am now honorary associate professor at Nottingham University and director of Herd Health Consultancy, founded in 2006.
From my home in the South of England, which I share with my wife and two children, I work all over the UK and Internationally dealing with practical herd health and welfare improvement, dairy herd foot health programmes, training and retailer schemes.
I am proud to sit on the committee running the Register of Mobility Scorers (RoMS), to be an instructor for RoMS, chief auditor for the Cattle Hoofcare
Standards Board, and instructor on the UK Level 4 course in professional foot trimming as well as delivering training for the AHDB Healthy Feet Programme.
I really enjoy using my experience in my work every day and supporting farmers to improve the health and welfare of their animals through better skills, technical knowledge, and robust assessment.
Qualifications and credentials
- MA VetMB – veterinary science degrees (Cambridge University) 1999
- PhD – doctorate and thesis on alleviation and prevention of lameness in dairy heifers, conducted within the Animal Welfare and Behaviour group at Bristol University (2006)
- PG cert Vet. Ed. – postgraduate diploma in veterinary education (RVC 2015)
- FHEA – fellowship of the higher education academy
- DipECAWBM(AWSEL) – diplomat of the European College of Veterinary Specialists. http://ebvs.eu/colleges/ECAWBM/members/dr-nick-j-bell
- MRCVS – member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons